Monday, November 22, 2010

With the rising price of gas, how far would you travel if you had to change jobs?

I got sent a resume out yesterday to a huge banquet facility for an event coordinator position. I already work in the field, but have become frustrated with my employer and am considering changing jobs. This new place is more corporate and has a good reputation, but it about an hour and 15 minutes away from my home, assuming traffic is good. My current job is about 20-30 minutes depending on traffic. I currently make about $31,000. I get a year end sales based bonus, but it's never consistent, and this year I think I'll be lucky to get anything.



I haven't even had an interview yet, much less been offered the job, but I was wondering:



Given the cost of gas + wear and tear on the car + additional hours away from the family because of the commute, how much would you have to get paid in order for the negatives to be worth changing jobs? I was thinking at least $50,000, including commisions and bonuses. What would you want to make those sacrifices?With the rising price of gas, how far would you travel if you had to change jobs?
I increased my salary from 22K to 45K last year by committing to a 1.5 hour commute. I was able to make the commute for just over a year. It seemed I never felt like I was giving my job 100% because I was either dreading my drive to or from work. I never felt like putting in additonal hours because of what might lie ahead of me on the road. It was a much more prestiges positon and the money was great ,but I never seemed to get ahead. I spent more money on normal things because I didn't have the time or energy to shop around. I had meals out more because I didn't have time to shop and cook. I even started hiring someone to clean my house. I felt like I lived either on the road or at the gas pump. If traffic was extra heavy, there were accidents or bad weather it was even worse. You might want to factor those things in as well as gasoline cost, wear %26amp; tear on vehicle, hours away from family, not to mention the affect it will have on you physically and emotionally. A longer commute also increases your liklihood of being involved in a serious accident even if you are a very careful driver.

Just some things to think about.



Money is not everything....I learned the hard way.With the rising price of gas, how far would you travel if you had to change jobs?
not far, id take transit
you can't :D
I would not drive more than half an hour away from home
Unless I were carpooling I would travel no more than 15 miles. Gas prices are just too much.!
Well, to me, time is worth more than money. But seriously, I think you should become Amish. They don't have to worry about gas, or wear and tear on a car, or electric bills, etc. You know, a horse and buggy is actually a much better investment than a car. It's cheaper and lasts longer.
Family; PRICELESS, you can make all the money in the world but, I don't believe I would want to, I would think of my family first.
I would never travel that far for any job considering the cost of gas, the wear and tear on your auto, the time spent in traffic and emotional health.



If you could work at home two of those days instead of commuting, maybe it would be worthwhile.



How can you put a price on your time?
I wouldn't do it for less that 65,000 a year, a company car and company gas card.



Good luck, Jackie b
Two hours a day of your life for the commute more than you have now it would be like getting home at 7 instead of 5. It will interfere with dinner or sleeping or seeing your family. Assume your time is now worth $15 per hour you would need to get paid $30 a day extra just for your time, depending on your car and miles not just time I would say another $20 per day for mileage. Then I would think you would want something for the cost of not being home so about $100 per day more to work farther from home. $50K would be about enough, but maybe you can work from home part of the time or work 4 ten hour days or even 3 12 hour days to save commute time.

Consider moving nearer work if you are single and don't own a house.
Add up the total time it takes you commute and work and divide by your current salary, then multiply that by the time it will take you to commute and do your new job. That is the lowest salary you would want to ask for. Then, set your trip meter to zero and see how many additional miles you would be traveling. Divide by your MPG and multiply by the price per gallon to get your addtional gas costs per trip. Use this to calculate your annual costs. Then divide that number in half to get approximate wear and tear on your vehicle. Add these two numbers to your new salary to come up with an appropriate salary level.



Add last year's bonus to your salary when discussing your current compensation.
I don't have family to take into consideration but, for me, the biggest consideration is the time spent in the car, in traffic and in a situation where my stress levels are going to skyrocket. The volume of that daily stress would make the job change prohibitive.



The cost of gas right now is certainly a very big factor and a volatile one to boot. If I were going to make the change, I'd make sure I had the most fuel efficient car that I could afford.



Lastly (and this is you-centric), while you may be frustrated with your current employer, they are a known entity. Make sure you aren't just viewing this potential new employer with rose-colored glasses. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. Perhaps there is a way you can address your current concerns with your employer?



For myself, in my current job, my trade off is less money than I could make elsewhere and a location that is less than desirable but I get great coworkers, a company that prides itself on being family oriented, and a very interesting and fun job.
No ! The job you are doing is nice because it paid nice salary and and incentive. If you cross your limit.

No comments:

Post a Comment