Monday, November 22, 2010

Changing jobs on H1b visa and grace period?

I have an H1B visa and I am thinking of changing job to another company in the same field, my question is, if the new company gives me the job, can I use the same H1B visa? What do I need to do? And, if, lets say I want to take some time off between jobs, is it possible to maintain the visa? For how long time?

Thanks.Changing jobs on H1b visa and grace period?
A new company should file H1B transfer. As soon as a company receives a receipt that the USCIS received a transfer paperwork, you can start working for another company. I'd say up to 30 days without a job is OK.Changing jobs on H1b visa and grace period?
Hola Alberto, vrogatch is right, You need to make sure your new employer applies for you before you quit your older job, getting your visa transfer is less painful than getting one for the first time. Sorry I wouldn't recommend you take time off between jobs (couple weeks won't hurt if you can arrange that with the new employer). Just an example, if you get lay off, you have 30 days to find another sponsor or that immediatly puts you out of status 'cause you are not under the wing of an sponsor anymore. You can look for more info at the website of USCIS. Make sure yu gather all the info before you switch jobs.Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment