Saturday, November 20, 2010

Should I try to change jobs at this point in my career? My cubicle and the long nights/weekends is killing me?

I'm 48 and a Sr. Software Engineer at the country's biggest defense contractor. The benefits are pretty much to die for (I actually have a pension plan, and obvioulsy the typical 401k, and good health plan, 4 weeks vacation, 11 holidays) and they pay me a chunk of change (approx. $140k)....but the long nights and weekends and mental/physical stress are taking there toll. I've been at it since 1986 so have 23 years in. I'd really like to change jobs but really how can I walk away from this $$ and benies?? Any ideas?Should I try to change jobs at this point in my career? My cubicle and the long nights/weekends is killing me?
I've got news for you - even in this economy, if you are willing to relocate to where the job is, you can do MUCH better for yourself. Three years ago this August, I was in a job where I was making far more than you are, and much more than I could have ever imagined - but after only nine months, I quit because there was NEVER any end to the government clients demands on my time. ';Now that you have the portal designed, write the training manuals, now that the training manuals are done, write and teach the classes on how to use the portal';, and so on and so on. When I complained about the hours they were making me keep and the amount of time I spent away from home, their attitude was ';look WHY are you complaining, don't you KNOW how much money we are paying you?'; - it was as if the money gave them the right to treat me as their high tech slave.



After 9 months and about 20 pounds and stress that was at a level so high that it still might take some years off my life, I gladly took a multi-thousand dollar pay cut to 'save my life'. I have now been at my current company for almost three years, and for the most part has been a rewarding experience.



Every job has its stresses, but it seems to me that the 'clock on the wall' is beginning to tell you it's time to move. If you are a Sr Software Enginer at a large defense contractor and have kept your skills up to date, I can tell you that there are plenty of defense contractors that would gladly have your skill sets. With the ability to roll over 401k plans between companies these days, and most companies offering similar benifits, if you are not happy with where you are - cast the net wide and see what's out there. You will be surprised at how little you will lose and how much you will gain.



Sign me - been there, done that, came out the other side with my head held high and my wallet intact.



BTW I am a Sr Software Engineer for a large defense contractor, AND I have more that 5 years on you (in age). So I say - if the clock says go, then move on. But cast the net first.
  • camcorders
  • how to grow pomegranate
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment