Monday, November 22, 2010

Career Rut... How can I change jobs.. feeling stuck and hopeless.?

I am stuck in what I would describe as a career rut. I have two degrees, a degree in psychology (honours) and a teaching degree. Like many Education students I decided not to get into the teaching field. As a result of this I had a very difficult time getting my first job. I ended up taking the first job that aws offered to me, and I stayed with it for 2 long years.



The job I ended up taking was a job working with the disabled. I help them find work and keep employment, as well as keeping them involved in the community. It might sound like an interesting job, but really, it's not. I work with many difficult clients, which will sometimes require me to sit in my car with them for 2+ hours.



The organization does not treat it's employees well. I feel like I am invisible most days I go in to the office. My organization has put people (clients, public, and staff) in harms way because they are too thick to see the potential for problems. *When I say they put people at risk they really do. During the summer, because the organization did not listen to staffing concerns, a client almost killed a 10 month old baby.



Last year I took on a part time job, as a means to get more experience. I also instruct classes on computer software (contract, no benefits). I was hoping this would open up some doors for me in other companies, but this has not occured yet.



I just need a way to get out of the organization I am working at. I have been working there for 2 years with no promotion and little increasements of responsibility. The organization does not promote males, that has been apparent since I started there. I will stay where I am as long as I saty with this organization.



It really bothers me. I am not some dumb guy either. In Uniersity I finished in the top 10% of most of my classes. I recieved the highest grade in some of my classes. I went to University so I wouldn't be stuck in this type of job.



Career Rut... How can I change jobs.. feeling stuck and hopeless.?
Start exploring your options. There's a school of thought that even if you like your job, you should occasionally interview elsewhere, just to remind yourself that you have alternatives %26amp; that you have market value. Keep your resume up to date, attend networking events. Figure out how you can leverage your academic credentials plus what you have learned in this job. (Remember, when you interview, no matter how you feel now you must be able to describe your current job in a very positive way, including all the great stuff you have learned.) Right now you sound frustrated and burnt out -- your biggest challenge is turning that around so that you are attractive to other employers. One good way to do that is to learn something new %26amp; valuable -- make yourself an expert on something. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment