Saturday, November 20, 2010

How do you change Jobs when it is risky to provide a referee?

Hey thanks for taking the time to read.



I really need to change jobs I have been working at my work for 5years and it has a really bad culture and underpays its employees. I have a few new jobs to apply for however the only work referee's I have are from this place. Someone I know who worked here was fired because they applied for another job and used friends/family as referee's, but the new place did an employment check and when the boss found out they got sacked.



So my question is how do I change jobs when the experience from this job is absolutely crucial to acquiring further employment, when I cant use my current employers as a reference and if an employment check is done and my boss finds out I might be fired?



At the moment I cant afford to be without work.How do you change Jobs when it is risky to provide a referee?
I'm sorry to hear that you are having a bad time at work. I would suggest you to find out a little more before quitting out of frustration, but first your question...



For a reference, you can approach any person who is not your manager - as you have stayed in the company for five years, you may have worked with several people who can give a good recommendation. Even if your relationship with your manager was good, generally managers do not encourage their team members to quit, so it isn't a good idea to have them as references anyway.

Bottom line: Look for other references. Depending on your job profile, if you have worked extensively with folks outside your company (consulting, etc), then you can give their references as well.



During the interview, clearly state that you are uncomfortable with the prospective employer contacting your manager. Professionally speaking, people would value your preference.



As for the background check - it is done provided all else is ok and the job offer is ready to be rolled out provided the credentials match up. Even if your manager comes to know of your background check (which HR should not disclose), you should have the new job offer before you are fired.

On the bright side, if you are fired with another offer in hand, you will not have to serve a notice period and may get severance.



Now for the reason why you are quitting - you have stayed in the company for five years - you should be used to the culture (although it may still be bad). Also, check for what packages are in the market before planning a shift based on that criteria. Word of mouth can be false and don't simply go by what a friend said.

If you have done the research and have determined that you will be better valued and happier with a move - then by all means, go ahead.



Hope this helps,

Jobxray

No comments:

Post a Comment