Tuesday, September 13, 2011

What can i do to change my employment desirability?

In my past, I never really took ';work'; all that seriously because I had a husband that I knew supported me and that I didn't really HAVE to work if I didn't want to.



As a result, I took off work more than I should have, I changed jobs frequently when I got ';bored'; with it... I mean when I WAS there, I did a pretty good job, I got good evaluations, other than my attendance...but I don't have a great work history.



NOW, I am in the position that I HAVE to work... now separated and on my own...and I am finding that my work history is biting me in the butt!



I want to change my desirability to hire me, but not sure really what I can do!



Should I try to get some updated training, should I come clean about my history and discuss it up front in my interviews and explain how my views have changed....what can I do?



Any thoughts?What can i do to change my employment desirability?
You cannot change your resume, but you can position your covering letter to reflect your desire for a stable role.



I would suggest a cover letter that explains you are now looking for a long-term challenge and to devleop a career, bringing your previous knowledge and experience to bear on it. Show them how serious and enthusiastic you are!



Good luck! :)What can i do to change my employment desirability?
I've been in the same position in the past. I think this is where you really have to network--get out, meet people, let everyone know you are job hunting. A lot of times, it's who you know that will get you in the door.



Were your previous jobs in the field where you are seeking employment now? Were they professional level jobs? If they weren't (for example retail clerk positions and jobs of that type), and you held several positions during a year, your best bet may be just to leave them off your resume. It looks a lot worse to be a job hopper than it does to be out of work for a year.



Put a positive spin on your work gaps. If you were doing volunteer work or raising children, make sure the interviewer knows that.



Another thing you can do instead of writing a chronological resume is to write one that groups your skills and experience.



Good luck with your job hunt!

No comments:

Post a Comment