Wednesday, September 21, 2011

How to find an apartment long distance?

I'm going to move 500 miles. What's the best way to find a place to live in this situation? I'm not looking for a roommate situation this time, so that might make it slightly harder, having to sign a lease.



I'll be changing jobs as well since my company doesn't have an office there. Should I ask for extra time before starting my new job, so that I can go there, search for apartments, then come back and move my stuff? Or should I move there into a temporary housing so I can look from there? I have furniture and stuff that I'd like to bring, not a whole apartment but basically a bedroom + odds and ends.How to find an apartment long distance?
Depending on your financial situation, it would be best to give yourself some time to check out your new city. Put your stuff in temporary storage and find a hostel/hotel/room that you can rent by the day, or week. This will give you time to find a place you really like and you won't have to worry about getting badly surprised by a horrible place after you've signed the lease.



Also check out sub-letting (usually short term renting). Many people who are going away for a short period of time sub-let their apartments/houses. You can usually get a good deal without having to sign a lease. This might take care of your storage problems as well.



You probably already know about craigslist, but just in case you don't, here is the address www.craigslist.orgHow to find an apartment long distance?
http://www.rentnet.com/apartments/home.j

http://www.apartments.com/

Two good nationwide online listings.
What don't you get on the internet and google the place where you are going for ads? I found a place in Mexico by going online. I put an ad on one of the free sites for beach property and got an answer within 2 days, and it turned out to be a fantastic place right on the Gulf. The people even met me, drove to the house and helped me get situated. It really worked for me.
call the realtors from the yellow pages on line and they rent out apartments to folks in houses that are investment properties and they will have a list and you ask them about the price and the neighborhoods then call ahead to a storage facility to place you goods in untill you scan the rentals from the realetors offices websites or e-mails then you can sleep at the redroof inn for a few days and they offer weekly rates at most hotels and so on good luck also the hard copy of most phone books for cities are in the library
Well, if you are moving to Tampa, Orlando, or Gainesville (all Fl)they have a business called ';Apartment Hunters'; there. This is a good tool b/c you can call them/ go on-line and fill out a survey detailing what you want (size, rent amt, furniture, etc.) and they will come up w/ a list of apartments that fit what you are looking for. I would also try apartments.com. However, if you can not find this business in the city you are moving to, I would take a trip early for a long weekend and go on a search yourself. If you don't have it resolved a month before you are moving I would def. ask for more time from your new job, or move into a temporary housing, that way your stuff can come w/ you. Hope this helps!
  • control in html forms
  • client side script
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment