Tuesday, September 13, 2011

I have been thinking about changing jobs but...?

Well I live about 40 minutes away from my current job. I have been thinking about looking for a new job closer to where i live. The thing is I am not sure, because I really like all the people where I work now, and I like the environment here.I am just thinking about saving money on gas, not having to sit in traffic, and also the schools are good where I live but and my 4 year old is starting preschool in the city where i work and the schools are not so great here. How do I decide if a job change is the right thing to do? Has anyone out there been in a similar situation and how did you decide what to do?I have been thinking about changing jobs but...?
If you like your job, I would say don't leave. Think about how much time you spend at work. If it's enjoyable for you, that's a really good thing. If the only issue is travel, I would say put up with it for now. Think of your travel as time to unwind before getting home, and time to mentally prepare for your day on the way to work. The gas money sucks, but again if you really like your work, that might make it worth it. But in the end follow your gut. If you keep feeling like leaving is the right thing to do, go for it. But try not burn any bridges at your place in case you ever want to come back.I have been thinking about changing jobs but...?
I'm currently making nearly half what I was making in the private sector in Florida but hated the commute(2hrs) and really didn't like the environment at all.

Now back in government work after 5 years I love the friends I work with, it makes all the difference if you consider how much time of our lives we spend at work, I think it's important to be happy (or at least not UNhappy).

I would reconsider...maybe get a second job, something fun and simple out your way just part time to compensate for gas?

No comments:

Post a Comment