Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I overpaid Social Security Tax last year. How do I/Can I get it back?

I changed jobs in the middle of last year. Between the two jobs, I earned substantially over the SS Tax max, but the second job clearly didn't know my total earnings for the year and kept taking out social security tax until the end of the year. I probably over paid SS Tax by about $1-2K. Is there anyway to get this money back? If so, how do I go about doing it?



All help is appreciated.I overpaid Social Security Tax last year. How do I/Can I get it back?
If the overpayment came from two or more employers the overpayment will be credited as a payment on line 67 of your 1040 tax return. It will be treated the same as withholding and either reduce your tax liability or increase your refund. You need not do anything other than correctly prepare your 2007 tax return.I overpaid Social Security Tax last year. How do I/Can I get it back?
You claim the overpayment back on your federal income tax return, on line 67 on the 2006 1040.



If this was for 2006 and you already filed your return, you'll have to file an amended return to get the overpayment refunded to you.



If this happened in 2007, then claim it when you file your 2007 return.
If this was for the 2006 tax year you will need to file and ammended tax return for 2006. if it is this year then just make the adjustment when when you fill out this years taxes.
  • stay happy and calm
  • How do i make a quilt
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment