Wednesday, September 21, 2011

How can I get my W2 from a past employer?

I changed jobs in May of 09 and I've made several attempts to contact them and request that they send it. It's getting close to April 15 and I would like to file them asap but I can't until I get this W2.How can I get my W2 from a past employer?
Between February 15 and April 15, a special rule allows you to file without yoru W-2 after making reasonable efforts to obtain it. To file without the W-2, you must follow this procedure exactly:



1. After January 31, ask the employer for it (you have already completed this step).

2. Wait a reasonable period of time (you may have already completed this step).

3. After February 15, call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 to report the situation. This step must not begin until steps 1 and 2 are complete and the date is after February 15.

4. The IRS will ask you for some information and send you a ';substitute'; form. They will also attempt to get the employer to send you a W-2.

5. Fill out the substitute form.

6. If the IRS fails to get the employer to send you a W-2, you may file using the substitute form instead of the W-2. You are allowed to do this only after completing all of the above steps. (Simply downloading a blank substitute form from the Internet is not satisfactory; you must first request a W-2 from your employer, wait, and call the IRS.)How can I get my W2 from a past employer?
Call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 and discuss the situation with them.
keep trying, the employer is the only one who has a copy they will send you

No comments:

Post a Comment