Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I changed jobs and I am experiencing anxiety. How do I cope with ';what if'; anxiety?

I have recently changed jobs and I am experiencing significant anxiety.



I left my old job for a new one that offered more experience and better pay. While I still liked my old job, I was getting really stressed our because many of my co-workers and bosses, who I got along with and were my support structure, had left and were replaced by bosses who heavily criticized me and my work; however, they still worked me like a dog and took credit for my results.



More money, more pay, better environment...I SHOULD BE HAPPY!!



So why am I not? I worry that I won't be able to do my job well. I, for some reason miss my old job - maybe because I was good at it and was the ';go to guy'; for everything. Now I feel like a small fish in a big pond. I fear that I won't be successful and will eventually get fired. I also reflect on the criticism I received from my bosses at the old job.



I can't stop thinking/ worrying about this and it is destroying my personal life. I need help. Does anyone have any ideas or tips? What do I do? I changed jobs and I am experiencing anxiety. How do I cope with ';what if'; anxiety?
Number one,you would not have got the job if new employer did not think you could handle the work,

Number two ,obviously you demonstrated in your interview your abilities and areas of strengths.

Number three,key word RECENT,give yourself a chance to settle in,transitional anxiety is normal.

Number four,don't reflect on the past,and the critics,put them out of your mind,you are not in that situation physically anymore,why go there mentally.Look ahead.

Try and make friends with new collegues,sit and have coffee break/lunch with them.Try to talk about non work stuff when on breaks.Ask new boss for some feedback on how you are going and if there is anything else you should be doing and arenot.Always ask if unsure rather than fudging your way through and possibly stuffing up.Asking questions demonstrates keeness to learn and improve and that impresses the boss.I changed jobs and I am experiencing anxiety. How do I cope with ';what if'; anxiety?
Wow Worrier,



This sounds just like a situation I was in a few years ago. I was working as a graphic artist for a major metropolitan news paper in their advertising department. And I to was the go to man, the fire extinguisher, the problem solver, in short I did it all. The deadline stress was incredible. The people I worked with JERKS, support from my supervisor(s) non-existant, salery mediocre, atta boys nada. In the end I suffered a heart attack from all that stress. So stop the worrying in the end it's just not worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment