Monday, June 6, 2011

How often have you changed jobs in your life?

My generation, coined 'generation Y' or the 'echo boomers', are supposed to be unloyal workers who change jobs frequently: A 2008 survey by UK recruitment consultancy FreshMinds Talent in partnership with Management Today suggested that Generation Y are generally more ambitious, brand conscious and tend to move jobs more often than previous generations. The survey of over 1,000 people, entitled Work 2.0, also suggests several possible misconceptions about Generation Y, including that they are as loyal as their predecessors and believe that their job says something about them as individuals.



I have just read several answers where 'previous generations' have walked out of jobs after a couple of weeks and even a half day! Do you feel like you are/were more loyal to your employers than my generation?How often have you changed jobs in your life?
For me, yes. I only had 4 jobs in my life, but each time I was loyal. I only quit to go back to school. Three were before returning to college, the last one was my career.



Here's a Halloween joke for you.



http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;How often have you changed jobs in your life?
the younger generation has a desire to better themselves so unlike what we were taught..stay on your job til you die..think about it, that's the way we were taught to believe...
I had about thirty jobs in fourty years,two of which lasted seven years , two others lasted four years and the rest were mostly on short term contracts.If you stay around too long you end up being part of the furniture ,as one or two of my superiors found out when they ended up working for me
During WW2 we were moved about a lot,I had 4 jobs in 2 years,then 2 years in the R.A.F ENDING IN 1949 .Since then i worked 43 tears for the same company. At that time there were many people who had been presented with gold watches for having served for 25 years. the reports of this type of presentation seem almost none existent today.This surely shows a lack of long service and loyalty. dont you think?.
I had numerous part time jobs in my teens and early twenties and time in each varied from a few weeks to several years. In my professional life and full time job, I've stayed at least five years in each job. I worked for thirty years as a teacher and during that time I moved twice. The advantage for me has been a good pension and good insurance in my senior years.



I see nothing wrong with changing jobs frequently if that's what you want to do and especially if you're able to improve your job situation and salary with each move. The only thing that concerns me about this is that if you do this, you must be a diligent long time saver from the very start of your career. If you're not, you'll really regret it in your senior years when you have nothing to fall back on except a government pension.
Generation has nothing to do with work ethics.



I don't compare my ability, whether it be in the work force or in life in general.



I have been self sufficient, and I get a great deal of self satisfaction in getting a job well done.



We are what and who we are - no better - no less than any one else, unless we think we are one of the elitist or those who have the need to set themselves a cut above others.



Loyalty has to do with your character, commitment, dedication cooperation.



Surveys or poll's are about a justified job description. They do not mean anything to me. They have to perpetuate their job, with one stupid poll after another.



I'm 73 and I have always tried to be all I could be to the best of my ability. I did change jobs, working myself up the ladder, but I found thee job that was right for me and I stayed with it, until retirement.

Good question.

DeeJay.




I have reinvented myself so many times, I don't even rememeber who I am anymore. Not like in my dad's day, but then I guess he was afraid to branch out and look for other opportunities. He ended up working for the same company for years , was laid off and, for his years of loyalty, punctuality and dependability, received zilch toward his twilight years.

I am loyal to my employers only insofar as I realize that all employment nowadays is ';at will,'; meaning that a person can be dismissed for any reason, or no reason at all.
I've probably had about 10 full time jobs, and a number of part time. The longest I ever worked at one was 8 years. I've always given notice, and left on good terms. My problem is that I love a challenge. One I understand the job, it gets boring, and I move on to another challenge.



I am very loyal, and always get along well with my co-workers.
I'm 67, I have changed jobs including a business of my own at least 12 times so far, granddad told me never be satisfied if you can better yourself.
I have had 7 different jobs in my life. I feel my generation has a better work ethic than some younger folks. It's almost like they want to punch in and out but don't do much in between. And some seem to be keeping score on what everyone else is doing.
.I was taught to do an honest days work for an honest days pay.I have always lived up to that.

Loyal??

I 'am loyal to my family, myself and then my employer

With that said Survey and Polls don't say much. We are all different
Well, at 61 years old, I've had several jobs...starting with a paper route, an ice cream/milk store, a mom%26amp;pop grocery, clean up crew (blood room) in a chicken processing plant, a garage door factory, the US Navy (20 years+), a Little Caesar's manager, a truck driver, a gov't contractor working on US Navy ships (6 weeks), a warehouse manager in a local shipyard (7 years), a cemetery supervisor (6 months) and now a logistics tech working with foreign navies(15 + years). That doesn't include some part time jobs I've had: fire alarm sales, deliverer/cook for Domino's, self service gas station booth attendant, taxi driver, janitor for several companies.

Only two times did I not have a job lined up when I left anther...the USN when I retired, and when I got laid off at the shipyard due to lack of work contracts with the US Navy.
i changed jobs more times than i can remember,3 months was average before i was bored out of my brain.loyal to the employer ,not the job itself.

wasn't until i got into aged care that i developed some staying power.

obviously i was in the wrong kinds of job before that.

ps started work at 14.
I had a couple of seasonal jobs before my office jobs. My1st office job was for 2 yrs. The 2nd was a temp for 3 mo. and my 3rd over 31 yrs.
i wasnt. i have walked out after half a day time to go look for something else after lunch i could not afford to waste a day on something that was not going to work out.. I have been hired for a certain job. then i get there and they had baited and switched me to something i didn't want to do. if they mentioned it in the first place i would have not accepted the job. I think they knew that and tried to trick me. not very honest of them maybe they thought I would feel stuck for a few weeks
When I found out college wasn't ready for me( blew a full ride in 4 months) then I had to go to work. Had 3 jobs from 1972 to1975 when I hired on the Police department. Stayed there until I retired in 2004 and now work at local hospital as security so I have had 5 jobs in 36 years.
Lots of part time jobs back in school. Three years in one bank, 5 in another, one in personnel for a grocery store %26amp; then 20 years in the post office.
I've changed a lot when it was unbearable to work with people I didn't like!! Rather than cause a fuss I'd leave! I could always find another job!! Longest I worked was 6 years of the Native Tribes and B.I.A.!!
in my lifetime i have had 10 employers. lost some of the jobs to layoffs. never quit but one and i just could not get along with the boss.i was with my last employer 30 years
I have had 5 jobs, and one was part-time.
Changed many times and was as loyal to my employer as I felt they were loyal to me.
I've changed jobs many times, bu have always given notification -- that is NOT unloyal. I've also retired after 20 years service with two separate organizations when I found my ';niche';
I have had 3 jobs in my life; my 23 year old daughter has had at least 8. You decide who was more loyal to their employer.
No. There was a year when I had 12 jobs, the man who did our taxes was amazed! He said he was surprised I had that many because there were so many others looking for even one job. I am only loyal to family. Poppy
I change when I am needed anymore or if I am living in another town.
I have basically had 4 jobs in my life, all in different fields. . . and worked an average of 8 yrs. on each one. I'd say I was loyal to them all. Responsibility and commitment mean a lot to me. Of course being a mother is not added in on these jobs, because it is never ending !
Never, worked for the Post Office for 40 years..

Retired for 2 years now.

No comments:

Post a Comment