Monday, June 6, 2011

How can I get a new Social Security card?

I changed my name legally but I neglected to change it with Social Security. Now I have no ID in my old name because I turned in my old license when I got the new one and I either turned in or destroyed my old work ID. I called Social Security and the woman barely spoke English and just kept repeating to send originals.

Finally, I sent my original birth certificate, original court order, original driver's license and a letter explaining my dilemma but they sent them back demanding ID in my old name.

I don't know what to do now. I know they will not credit me for work under the wrong name but that's no big deal because if I can ever afford to retire, I don't expect Social Security to exist and if it does, it won't be enough to pay for my toilet paper. What I am concerned about is that I can never change jobs again unless I can get a card.

I feel like I need a lawyer but my old one ripped me off badly and I can't afford to spend thousands more. Please help.How can I get a new Social Security card?
I understand very well your problem. I had a different problem but it was with social security. I got tired of the stupid idiots at the office so I went to the office of local congressman. Things began to happen very fast.



Please do take this to your local congrasmans office and talk to them. SS hates it when you do this and really bends over backwards to help.How can I get a new Social Security card?
GO TO SOCIAL SECURITY OFFICE.
Find a homeless person who has your height and weight. For a reasonable fee, they will let you use theirs.



This is pretty common here in LA.
My purse got stolen once and it had my original card in there. What a pain to get a new one. I had to go into their office in person with those documents that you described and about half a year later I had a new card.



Unfortunately, it had my old name on their, as I am now married. I had to reapply all of the above and get my name changed on my new card. Another half a year later I have my new card with my husband's name on it.



I would recommend going in person, it might be the best idea, even though it is still very slow process.
If you couldn't get good result from the social security office,

find a non profit lawyer in the yellow pages or in the internet.

then ask them for some advice.

good luck
Take a vacatrion %26amp; go to the Social Security office in your state where the ID was issued. Bring all your paperwork %26amp; explain the situation. Have an old utility bill or another similar piece of paper in your old name. Stuff as important as Social Security shouldn't be done by mail. good luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment