Monday, June 6, 2011

How do I deal with this situation at work?

I'm feeling trapped. My boss has a problem with me and I think the best thing to do would be to change jobs but I've been looking for a while and can't find anything at this level. I'd be willing to take a pay cut but just can't afford to take too much of a cut . I think she'd like to get rid of me but it's not so easy because I've had a very good reputation with her boss and peers. Some of the things she's trying to implement are going to be detrimental to our office and work (and staff) and I've voiced my concerns and because of this she has told me exactly what she thinks of me and it's all very negative. She is a pretty ruthless woman and I see myself being isolated with my reputation rapidly going downhill. As she also has (I think) a good reputation with her peers and her boss I am reluctant to bring my so-called 'negativity' to their attention. Our HR dept also report to her.How do I deal with this situation at work?
In the UK, there must be someone impartial from a HR perspective. Try ACAS or Citizens' Advice. Its a horrid situation, utterly uncomfortable %26amp; that awful feeling of powerlessness.

When you voiced your concerns, did you suggest alternatives? It may be worth suggesting that you were hasty over her decisions %26amp; how willing is she to work together with you to achieve the best Don't regard this as kissing butt so much as a lesson in how to deal with those who think differently. Also, when you get interviewed for your next job, it provides a great example on how your overcame difficulties to reach an agreeemtn in which everyone is happy. (It may leave a bitter taste for a while but keep your friends close %26amp; your enemies closer!) Good luck!How do I deal with this situation at work?
she is jealous of you.... go above her and quietly make your concerns known......... good luck... your boss should try to be more professional....
Go to her and tell her that you are sorry for any misunderstanding and that you are fully on board with her gameplan. Then start looking for another job.
get the cow drunk then slap her
That's what HR departments are for is to let them know what's going on. Just because they report to her doesn't mean you have no way out. She's reports to someone also(unless she the owner). You don't have to look like your negative to anyone, there are ways to say what you have to say. Maybe she could recommend another department for you or even make some contacts outside if she wants you out that bad. You must not be doing that bad if your still there.



Good luck my dear I hope it works out for you.
sounds like an attempt at constructive dismissal
One thing to think about is that she is the boss. Your not working in a democracy and she is the dictator of your world at work. If you have not tried turn the negative into a positive and look for the good in her and the work instead of the other. Maybe she's trying to bring out the best in you. But beings I have only 1 side to this story it does make it hard to see both sides..



good luck...
BE STRONG strong....NEVER GIVE UP YOUR power to another . it will leave you as a deshevilled emaciated prune! Go to the tribunal if she is 'teasing you with her finger' as they say in the profession. Irrispective of what gender your boss is, NO ONE needs to be treated thus. It is NOT conducive to a healthy work environ. Try cabin crew. this will whisk you away sweet pea. make you gurgle and live your dreams.



And for youur therapy [i am a trained but eccentric top uk therapist] read the entire poem by Rudyard Kiplig [author of The jungle Book] entitled 'If'.



And study each and every line.



That will be the answer to your predicament - *** - dilemma.



Take care and GOOD LUCK......



xx
Make a note of how your being treated over a period of time. Get some advice from friends at work ie your union Rep then make your complaint if things get no better, check you complaints procedures first. It seems to me that this problem will continue until you put a stop to it, don't be put off by her position at work
The following are my thoughts based on what I would do if I was trying to hold onto my job after the event you described:



The bottom line is that you are there to assist her achieve her goals. You've stated your disagreement with her objectives and she provided you with some candid feedback. (Hopefully, your disagreement with her and her response were in private. It is inappropriate to have these discussions in public, and difficult to reverse the damage in that situation.)



Unless her objectives are illegal or unethical, it is time you had a private follow-up discussion with her. You should point out to her that you've had some time to think about your previous discussion, and that your intention is to support her 100%. The thoughts you voiced were your honest opinion at the time, and were meant to be constructive--as you care about the company. Now that your boss has made a decision, you are on board with it and there will be no second thoughts--to her or anyone else. Based on her candid response to your comments, you will try to be more appropriate when providing feedback, and you are open to suggestions on how to discuss any future issues in a way that she finds acceptable.



If you made comments in front of others, you would be in trouble with 95% of managers. You should sincerely apologize and ask if there are any actions she would like you to take to resolve potential damage.



Now is not the time to worry about your pride. Patch open wounds... in private.



Good luck.
You need to formally make a complaint about her to the HR department with an independant witness present. They are then forced to investigate the situation and if you are able to further produce evidence of her ';picking'; on you such as with emails, other witnesses or letters.



Basicaly you have a case for constructive dismissal, however be very careful about doing something. If you have no evidence then they may not be able to do anything and all you'll do is dig a hole you can't get out of.



Speak to a solicitor if needs be or the citizens advice buro
Hi, this sounds familiar to an experience I had 5 years ago. I voiced genuine concerns to my female boss, about changes she was implementing in our office. She singled me out, took every opportunity of ridiculing me in front of younger members of staff, and was very condescending. Basically she was an actress, and I watched her perform to senior members of staff, fluttering her eyelashes, and being mystified as to why I was always against her, and telling them I had a negative attitude. I went to H.R., who were also under her spell. I know it shouldn't have, but it made my situation worse. Eventually, my sanity was at stake here, so I ended up going 'sick', to give me time to re-evaluate. Acouple of the girls at work kept calling to tell me that she was 'planning something', to get rid of me, so I took the decision that 'no job is worth this'. These people are insecure bullies, and can be very dangerous to deal with. I was warned when I started, to 'watch my back with her', which seemed ridiculous at the time. A good way of evaluating someone as a boss is the length of service of their staff. Do they have a high turnover of staff? Does she? You sound like a nice person, so I wish you all the luck in this serious situation, but if she isn't a genuine person, then no amount of talking to her will change your situation, and possibly make it worse. [If it can get worse]. Also, if she really is as devious as the one I knew, she could appear to resolve the differences with yourself, and, when you least expect it , stab you in the back at a later date. Reading back thru your question just now before I submit this, I wouldn't trust her! P.S. I think it's the same person!!
Best thing to do bide your time until you do find another job.
  • home theater
  • advice from vegan
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment