Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I'm starting a new job -real nervous. I hate change but realized I needed a chnage from the job im at now -its

very loud and nerve racking. Although the new job is 30 min. away vs. the 5 min I drive now. And the new job will be night shift 7p-7a vs. the one i have now 7a-3p (both are FT). I just feel sick to my stomache -changing jobs (career the same) Ive been with the other job for 7 yrs. Im staying on as PRN (im a nurse) I just havent changed jobs in so long (I hate change) The pay is better at the new hosp. Ive worked nights a couple times as extra shifts at my hosp so I know I can do it -but how will 12 hr shift be? My sig. other thinks it will be good because the old hospital had loud intrusive Pt's while this one is quiet -and i hate loud obnoxious noises or remarks (which he does alot of) -Im also looking at a future other move since he's put in for a transfer with the P.O. to another state and i know we may be moving there. He's already put his house up for sale (we live together). God, I hate chng. How do I deal with all this chng? We have also discussed splitting up -yet another chngI'm starting a new job -real nervous. I hate change but realized I needed a chnage from the job im at now -its
Starting anything new is scary....because it's ';unknown';. I'm also a nurse, and I'll tell you from my own experience that the first time I changed places of employment (after working in the same position for ten years), I was scared to death! But, I can honestly tell you that it does get easier, and you'll grow because of it. My only concerns for you are first, going to a 12 hr night shift after working days. Did you say you'll be full time nights? I did nights for the first two years of my career. It's hard to live ';normally'; if you work nights, and no one else (your signif other, etc) does! And, your days off are generally a fog, because you're constantly trying to get back on a normal sleep schedule, until your first shift back. Secondly, I am not sure what dept you work in, but if you're looking for only quiet and calm nursing, I wish you luck, and hope you'll send me the web address of the facility! Most of my experience has been ER/ Acute Care, where there are a lot of obnoxious, loud people, events, etc. And, Night Shift is like a different world. All domestic violence, psychiatric, alcohol/drug related etc patients frequent the night shift! My advice is to not bite off more than you can chew. Change is good, and is necessary for growth. But too much of it at one time adds a lot of stress, which can create even more problems. You need to prioritize what's most important to you...relationships? money? health? giving the best care to your patients? and then, write it down, and make a plan of how to come from point a to point b. Pray, and ask for God's direction, and make decisions based on your priorities and needs, not on your ';feelings'; or pressure from others! Hope this helps!I'm starting a new job -real nervous. I hate change but realized I needed a chnage from the job im at now -its
you have too much going on at one time. as a nurse, you probably already know that you need to speak with a therapist. in the mean time, you need to do something that emits positive feelings-buy new clothes, new make up (if able). change your hair, start an exercise routine. as for your new job, you will adjust. the night shift is a much different pace than days. it's just you and the patients, no management, therapy, family members in your face adding to your workload. plus you only work 3-4 days a week. you will be ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment